Saracens and Northampton Saints come calling for nine members of Saffron Walden RFC U13s squad
- Credit: Archant
Nine Saffron Walden RFC U13 players may be pulling on an Aviva Premiership club jersey in the future after they were selected for the County Developing Player Programme.
Six have been selected by Saracens (Hugo Carey, Harry Vincent West, Oliver Davies, Harry Mitchell, Thomas Powell and Ryan Curtis) and a further three by Northampton Saints (Fraser Murray, Alex Keys and Hunter White). Murray wlll go straight into the year above.
County rugby now run as academies with coaching from Premiership clubs.
The boys have been in scintillating form, not least in their previous clash as they thrashed Chelmsford 62-10 to reach the last four of the Essex Cup.
Murray scored five tries and a further three from Oisin Murphy, Olly Latham and Finn Thomas, with conversions from Keys and Morgan Evans, completed the win.
Walden were winning early ball, driving down the field with some terrific handling and they scored after three minutes before adding three more in quick succession.
Chelmsford hit back with a try of their own but the visitors soon turned up the heat to score again and go in at the break 31-5 ahead.
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 In pictures: The inaugural Santa Dash around Saffron Walden
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Walking Football launches in Walden
- 9 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
Heading up the slope in the second half, Walden had to battle hard but scored again after 10 minutes to increase their lead.
The hosts added another shortly after but Walden weren’t done as they scored four more tries to seal the easy win.