Takeley beat Stansted in Senior Cup
TAKELEY FC 1, STANSTED 0 CHRIS Grove s 87th minute goal gave Takeley FC the Essex Senior League points and sent them to the top of the table on Tuesday evening. In the first league game between the two local rivals for at least 50 years, it was the
TAKELEY FC 1, STANSTED 0
CHRIS Grove's 87th minute goal gave Takeley FC the Essex Senior League points and sent them to the top of the table on Tuesday evening.
In the first league game between the two local rivals for at least 50 years, it was the home side who took the points when Grove collected a ball from James Amott and fired past Scott Darby.
A disappointing game which never really flowed took 20 minutes to get going when Takeley's Joe Galsworthy played the ball through to Scott Forbes, but no one could score from his centre across the goalmouth.
You may also want to watch:
Galsworthy again raced forward on the half hour and passed to Chris Grove, his shot missed just outside upright.
For Stansted, a Ryan Murphy attempt was whipped in, which Andros Demosthenous spilled and recovered enough to clear the danger.
- 1 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 2 High Street shop staff will 'miss Saffron Walden community'
- 3 Footpath sign that points to wall is likened to Harry Potter book
- 4 Summer holiday catch-up classes among ideas being raised
- 5 Boy, five, who could wave cancer goodbye this year dances with twin brother
- 6 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 7 Uttlesford sees sharp fall in Covid-19 infections
- 8 Another business permanently closes its doors in Saffron Walden
- 9 Telephone exchange fetches nearly £100,000 at auction
- 10 Delight as work set to start on Uttlesford's first 3G football pitch
Both sides went close before the break with Takeley's Gregg Williams and Stansted's Danny Demitriou having efforts.
In the second half Ben Bradbury, who was a threat when Stansted attacked, had a great run forward and got the ball through to Greig Taylor, but the deflected shot was knocked out for a corner.
Galsworthy was close again with a drive that skimmed the bar on 70 minutes while Ben Bradbury had his shot put out of danger from a Stansted corner kick.
Amott had his attempt swerve away outside and Joe Galsworthy fired wide.
However, a rocket by Williams was finger tipped over on 80 minutes to keep the score sheets clean.
The game looked to be heading for stalemate before an Alex Martin throw-in found Amott and Grove was there to net the winner.
* ON SATURDAY Takeley play the first leg of the Essex Senior League Cup quarter finals at home against Burnham Ramblers. Kick off 3pm.