Takeley suffer shock cup defeat
Takeley FC 0, Burnham Ramblers 2 TAKELEY S 10-game winning streak came to a surprise end on Saturday as they were beaten 2-0 in the first leg of the Essex Senior League Cup quarter-final. The visitors came into the game in sixth place in the league
Takeley FC 0, Burnham Ramblers 2
TAKELEY'S 10-game winning streak came to a surprise end on Saturday as they were beaten 2-0 in the first leg of the Essex Senior League Cup quarter-final.
The visitors came into the game in sixth place in the league, and had already suffered a 2-0 home loss against Don Watters' table-topping team.
The game was goalless at half-time, but John Bradley put the visitors ahead in the 48th minute before Scott Pethers sealed the win in the 78th minute.
You may also want to watch:
The second leg of the tie is scheduled for Saturday December 13 where Takeley will attempt to turn around the deficit.
The Station Road club travel to fifth placed Basildon United on Saturday where they face a team who have games in hand over all of their title rivals.
- 1 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 2 High Street shop staff will 'miss Saffron Walden community'
- 3 Footpath sign that points to wall is likened to Harry Potter book
- 4 Summer holiday catch-up classes among ideas being raised
- 5 Boy, five, who could wave cancer goodbye this year dances with twin brother
- 6 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 7 Uttlesford sees sharp fall in Covid-19 infections
- 8 Another business permanently closes its doors in Saffron Walden
- 9 Telephone exchange fetches nearly £100,000 at auction
- 10 Boots suffers perfumes theft and damage to doors
There was also disappointment for Takeley reserves as they went down 3-2 at Newham United.
John Walters and Tom Drury scored the Takeley goals, but strikes from Jason Turner, John Hefford and Terry Griffin sealed the visitors' fate.
There was better news for Takeley reserves on Tuesday as they won 3-0 at home against Springfield.
They will look to build on that result when they travel to Upminster on Saturday.