Walden come unstuck at Brampton Park
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden scratch team started their defence of the CAGU Div 1 scratch league with a 4-2 away loss away at Brampton Park.
For the Walden boys, supported by Ford Wells construction group, this was potentially their toughest away fixture and to come away with two points was not a bad result.
Mark Reeve and Ryan Adair were out against Essex foursome winners Owen Davies and James Reeson. Walden were up against it from the very first tee shot and lost, Brampton winning 3up.
Richard Southall and Cam Brown took on Simon Burns and Roger Robinson. They were two down through four holes but won four in a row, including two birdies and an eagle on the 14th, to win by two.
Captain Graham Goodman and James Goodfellow took on Stuart Entwistle and Mick Ford. It was a tight game until costly errors on two drives by Goodman and two missed putts from Goodfellow saw the Brampton to victory.
You may also want to watch:
Goodman said: “It was a great result for our stalwart pairing of Southall and Brown who carried on were they left off last year. Tactically I made a poor decision in changing the order of the pairings which cost us the match.
“Brampton are notoriously difficult to beat at home so the two points we gained will prove invaluable. Next up is Newmarket so we need a big win to keep us on track.”
- 1 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 2 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 3 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 4 Great Anglia named train operator of the year
- 5 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 6 Thefts from village cars cause hundreds of pounds in losses
- 7 St Clare Hospice 10k run set to take place this April
- 8 District council urged to cancel investment
- 9 Controversial investment is ethical, district councillors say
- 10 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight