Walden get the point, but winning run is ended

PUBLISHED: 17:09 18 January 2011

Nia Evans

Nia Evans


LADIES captain Nia Evans stepped up to claim a late equaliser for Walden who had their winning run ended by a determined Ipswich side.

Steph Mayle converts her penalty

Saffron Walden 2 Ipswich 2

LADIES captain Nia Evans stepped up to claim a late equaliser for Walden who had their winning run ended by a determined Ipswich side.

One point could have been none however, as the home side had to fight back from a two-nil deficit with help from vice captain Stef Mayle and then Evans who whacked over the line when well placed in the D.

In a battling, and sometimes bruising, encounter Ipswich put out a physical side that were very competitive and often first to the lose ball.

Julia Westnedge had an early shot smartly saved by the in-form Ipswich keeper who also cleared several short corner attempts.

However, Walden then became the victims of a poor umpiring decision. Georgie Coote lifted her shot past the keeper and into the goal and although perfectly legal was disallowed by the official for being dangerous.

Clearly rattled by the decision, the Walden ladies conceded two goals either side of half time and were up against it if they wanted to build on a string of three wins.

They continued to play their game and tried to stretch the Ipswich defence. The visitors’ keeper made at least 10 saves but Stef Mayle eventually pulled one back for Walden with a reverse stick shot.

It was the least she deserved having an impressive game.

Mayle then nearly turned provider. Two strong dribbles to the byline provided tempting crosses across the goal but forwards Westnedge and Claire Harrington were unable to get the final touch.

When it looked not to be Walden’s day, captain Nia Evans determination in the D rescued a deserved point and kept her side in the promotion hunt.

Cup defeat

WALDEN’s second game of the weekend saw them lose to Waltham Forest in the England Hockey Women’s Trophy third round.

Walden had a two goal advantage after Mayle converted a penalty stroke and then a short corner strike.

But Forest came back into the game after a couple of goal mouth scrambles before going 3-2 when converting a short corner.

It could have been worse for Walden but their keeper Polly Oakman made some important saves.

With two minutes left Evans coolly lifted the ball over the opposition keeper to force extra time.

As Walden tired, Forest took advantage and got the golden goal to progress to the next round as 4-3 winners.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter