Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- Credit: WALDENJNR
Young and old alike from Saffron Walden have been starring at triathlon championships.
There were 14 members of WaldenJNR competing at the British Triathlon U20 Championships at Mallory Park Race Circuit in Leicestershire.
And the junior arm of WaldenTRI amazingly filled 11 of the 16 spots in the East of England squad for the younger children's races.
Charlie Woodley, Andrew de Koning, Raphael Buchallet, Edward Jennings, Ella Stewart, Freya Harris and Phoebe Goodale all raced strongly in the tristar two category for 11 and 12-year-olds while there was even more success in the tristar three group for 13 and 14 year olds.
Liam Conway, Lisa Leinemann and Seraphina Harris all stormed round the swim, bike and run course but they were all beaten by Arthur Ballard who raced to the bronze medal.
In the older Youth category Jake Latham and Grace Mason competed.
WaldenJNR head coach Craig Dyce said “It’s a tremendous achievement for one club to provide nearly three-quarters of the regional team and shows the strength we have in WaldenJNR.
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 7 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 8 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.
- 9 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 10 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
"The children did their club and the region proud."
The seniors too were in fine form with the Bely family at the Long Distance World Aquabike Championships in the Netherlands.
Consisting of a mammoth 3.8k swim followed by a 180k cycle, Luhan was first in the 18-year-old category while brother Mael was second in the 20-24 group.
Dad Benoit was fifth in the male 45-49 category.
Seven WaldenTRI athletes took on the Outlaw Middle Distance Triathlon at Bowood house in Wiltshire.
Consisting of a 1.9k swim, a 90k cycle and a 21k run, the race attracted more than 1,200 competitors.
Emma Cowper was second female in 4 hours 39 minutes 37 seconds while Simon Fawcett was the first male from the club to finish in 4:31:35.
Lem Lawrence, Luke Williams, Phil Doel, Emma Williams and Kate Rees also competed.
Chris Outersides took on an epic Weekend Warrior challenge at Blenheim Palace, completing nine triathlons at Blenheim over the weekend, while Clare Thompson completed the Thames Path 100km Ultra marathon between Putney and Henley on Thames.
Will Jenner and Jo Slota-Newson also raced at the St Neots Sprint Triathlon (750m swim, 20k cycle, 5k run) with Jenner 21st in 1:27:43 and Slota-Newson finishing in 1:47:56.
WaldenTRI has a new autumn and winter training schedule with eight sessions every week. To get in touch or join email firstname.lastname@example.org