Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- Credit: Supplied
A 15-year-old Essex cyclist has set his sights on professional sport after a strong 2021 competition season.
William Gilbank, from Great Sampford, claimed victory in the Welwyn Track Open Meet points, scratch and elimination events on Friday, September 10.
Days beforehand, Gilbank was one of just eight athletes selected to represent the Eastern Region at the National School Games in Loughborough from September 2-5.
Gilbank said his long-term goal is to join the British Cycling team.
He said: "The School Games was a great springboard to show off - it was an amazing experience.
You may also want to watch:
"After three days of competition, we had a chance to meet athlete mentors.
"It certainly has increased my desire to make it to the top."
- 1 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 2 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 7 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 8 Thaxted - Carver Scout Group visit an Apache helicopter
- 9 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 10 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers
The cyclist, who trains in Redbridge with the Lee Valley Youth Cycling Club, will also finish the season as the Eastern Region Circuit Champion after a competition in July.