Youth sport round-up - Town win four-way fight
PUBLISHED: 13:06 25 May 2011
Youth sport round-up for the Saffron Walden area...
Tournament (with picture)
A DRAMATIC end to a four-way football tournament ensured that Saffron Walden Town U14s (pictured) walked away with silverware at the weekend.
Spartak 78, Walden Warriors and Fulbourn Falcons clashed in an all day league format event with the final being played out between Town and the Falcons.
Town just about sneaked the finale with the help of two Murphy penalties.
It was a blistering hot day but the four teams eagerly fought it out as they were all eager to finish their season on a high.
- Spartak 78 ended their season with a 3-1 victory – their 15th this season – at Thurlow Youth. Hudson hit the bar early on, then Daniel opened the scoring, Brad added another in the second half before an own goal brought Thurlow back in to the game. Ethan then sealed the game for Spartak late on.
- Spartak are hosting a football fun day and mini-tournament on June 11 at Herberts Farm on Debden Road. Entry fee is £20 per team, for more information call Matt Clare on 07775 944664. The U15s team is also looking for players for next season. Call Darron Diggons on 07775 554480.
- Saffron Walden’s Under 14 development squad lost by seven wickets to High Roding in the first round of the U15 WEDCB Cup. Playing an age group higher Will Clark (14) and Joshua Charge (27) put in good performances with the bat, but a total of 77 was never enough.
- Walden’s U12s team were bowled out for 53 against Sampford, after Harry Kelvin and William Chappell took three wickets each. They couldn’t recover and the visitors eased home by ten wickets.
- Saffron Hawks U10s played out a tight 2-2 draw with the Hertford Hornets B. Grace Cordell set up Corey Haralambous to score the first. Haralambous then added a second after great defensive work from Katie White and Kristin Turner. Player of the match – Aiden Banks.
- Saffron Hawks U11 A’s smashed Hertford 30-13 to move up to third in the league. A superb all-round team performance was sparked by the talents of Jade Hall, Chloe Starr, Julia Belteki, Bella White, Ruby Haralambous and player of the match Oliver Alltree.
- Turnford were on the receiving end of a 42-26 thrashing by Saffron Hawks U13s as Hayley Irwin, Georgina Dunham, Bex Rees, Katie Sharpe, Laura Hemmings and player of the match Shannon Marks all ran riot.
- The Saffron Hawks under 11s High 5 players completed an almost perfect week for the club with a 4-3 victory over Turnford Toppers. It was a real hard-fought victory in a tight game, but the Hawks showed their class to keep a perfect league campaign going.