Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- Credit: Gerry Weatherhead
Spitfires, Hawker Hurricanes and much more will take to the skies above IWM Duxford this weekend for the 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show.
After COVID restrictions forced the cancellation of last year's event, the popular air show returns to the historic Duxford site on Saturday, September 18 and Sunday, September 19 to remember 'The Few'.
Visitors to the Cambridgeshire airfield earlier this month got a small taster of the upcoming action when the sound of Merlin engines filled the air as Spitfires took part in the Flying Days: The Fighters event.
That showcase was just a warm-up for this weekend's main event though, with more than a dozen Supermarine Spitfires set to feature in the flying programme.
Battle of Britain Air Show ticket holders will be able to witness daring air displays, dogfights and aerobatics over the weekend, with the flying display ending with the splendour of the now famous mass Spitfire flypast in the skies where history happened during World War Two.
The 1940s inspired Battle of Britain Air Show will see the IWM museum site transformed with living history groups, music and dancing, and plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained.
A spectacular array of aircraft will take to the skies, with the flying list including the RAF’s Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the Bremont Great Warbird Display Team, North American Mustangs, a Curtiss P-40F Warhawk, and Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B'.
- 1 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 2 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 7 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 8 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 9 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
Air displays throughout the day will showcase the best of Second World War aviation, with plenty of Spitfires to admire.
Duxford's hangars and exhibitions will be open throughout the weekend, including the Ops Block, an audio-visual experience that captures how men and women defended Britain from Luftwaffe attacks in the former nerve centre of RAF Duxford during the Battle of Britain.
IWM air show event manager Phil Hood said: “The Battle of Britain Air Show is always a very special event at IWM Duxford given the important role the site played during this pivotal moment in the Second World War.
"We also get to pay homage to the iconic Spitfire, an aircraft with a very close association to Duxford as the first station to receive it in 1939."
The Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show line-up is subject to change.
All confirmed flying is subject to weather and serviceability on the day.
Visit www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford-battle-of-britain-airshow for full details of the event.