Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- Credit: Elsenham WI
Although archaeologists found 140 loincloths in Tutankhamun’s tomb, the wearing of undergarments as we know them is relatively new, a meeting heard.
The meeting heard that corsets, bustles and hooped petticoats were worn by the wealthy as fashion items.
In some cases the poor wore them for practical reasons - a leather corset served as a bra for servants and farm workers.
But underwear as we know it dates from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Liza said Victorian ladies had two separate pantaloons with a gap for calls of nature. This is why we refer to ‘a pair’ of knickers.
You may also want to watch:
The meeting also had breakout groups and a fun scavenger hunt at the end.
Elsenham WI welcomes guests and new members. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or search for Elsenham WI on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- 1 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 2 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 3 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 7 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 8 Essex filmmaker's animated journey through the universe to be shown at Saffron Screen
- 9 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Uttlesford residents help council map 'vital' green spaces