Spitfires and more at IWM Duxford's behind the scenes themed flying day
- Credit: Gerry Weatherhead
It takes a lot of hard graft and dedication to keep the old warbirds at IWM Duxford airworthy.
The historic airfield's latest themed flying day took ticket holders behind the scenes at the Cambridgeshire site.
Duxford’s home to Spitfires, over 100 years of history, and some of the best aviation partners in the business were all celebrated at Saturday's sold-out event.
Flying Days: Behind the Scenes gave visitors a chance to discover more about Duxford’s aviation partners.
The event recognised the important work everyone onsite at IWM Duxford does to keep audiences entertained and iconic aircraft preserved for future generations to enjoy.
Visitors to Europe’s largest air museum were able to see Supermarine Spitfires in the air.
Among them was the blue NHS Spitfire ahead of the 73rd anniversary of the NHS.
The next special flying day will be Squadron 19 Heroes on Wednesday, August 4.
Before then, IWM Duxford will host the Duxford Summer Air Show on Saturday, July 24 and Sunday, July 25, featuring the RAF Red Arrows.
- 1 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 2 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 3 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 6 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 7 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 8 Essex filmmaker's animated journey through the universe to be shown at Saffron Screen
- 9 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Uttlesford residents help council map 'vital' green spaces