7 things to do in Essex in January 2022
- Credit: Chris Bailey
Start the year off on a good note with one of these top things to do in Essex in January.
1. Martin Kemp’s Back to The 80s Party DJ set, Charter Hall, Colchester
Feeling the January blues after the festive season? Get on your dancing shoes as Spandau Ballet’s finest, Martin Kemp, is heading to Charter Hall to bring you his Back To The 80s Party DJ set. This will be Martin’s first time visiting Colchester with his tour and he will be swapping his bass for the decks and spinning the best 80s tracks around. This event encourages fancy dress, so dig out those legwarmers and make it a night to remember.
Date: January 28
Tickets: From £22
Address: Charter Hall, Cowdray Avenue, Colchester CO1 1YH
- 1 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 2 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 5 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 7 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 8 Electric bus at Stansted Airport to help reach Net Zero
- 9 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 10 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mercury Theatre
The Colchester Operatic Society is hosting something spectacular at the revamped Mercury Theatre, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Some may recognise this musical production based on the Victor Hugo novel and including the songs and academy award-nominated score from the 1996 animated film produced by Walt Disney. So, what can you expect? According to the local amateur dramatic company, ‘The musical will sweep you away with the magic of this truly unforgettable musical as they perform this powerful story and fill the stage with beautiful choral harmonies.’
Date: January 27-February 6
Time: 7.30pm, 2.30pm
Tickets: From £15
Address: Mercury Theatre, Balkerne Gate, Colchester CO1 1PT
3. Cinderella's Royal Afternoon Tea, The Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford
For three special dates, The Kenneth More Theatre in Ilford is hosting something you do not want to miss. The theatre welcomes you to its magical afternoon tea experience with delicious sandwiches and scrumptious cakes with Cinderella herself, so be sure to get her autograph and photo. But the fun doesn’t end there! After, you will be treated to a fun-filled pantomime and join Cinderella at the ball. This is a perfect way to celebrate the New Year with friends and family this season.
Date: January 2, 8-9
Time: 3.30pm; 12pm
Tickets: From £25 including panto ticket
Address: Kenneth More Theatre, Oakfield Road, Ilford, IG1 1BT
4. New Year’s Day Wildlife Walk, Ingrebourne Nature Discovery Centre, Hornchurch
What better way to start the new year than with a beautiful walk across some of Essex’s stunning nature reserves. Havering Local Group is hosting a lovely walk for everyone to enjoy and spot the winter wildlife.
Date: January 1
Address: Ingrebourne Nature Discovery Centre, Hornchurch, RM12 6DF (Sat Nav RM12 6TS)
5. Cello and vocal concert
Ayanna Witter-Johnson is said to be a performer to watch this year. Making her debut at the award-winning Saffron Hall, her cello and vocals are promised to be an experience like no other.
Date: January 7
Tickets: From £7
Address: Saffron Hall, Audley End Road, Saffron Walden, CB11 4UH
6. Let It Snow, Marsh Farm, South Woodham
Now the festive season is coming to an end, are you looking for something fun to do with the children? Well, Marsh Farm Animal Adventure Park is hosting a range of fun activities, including a sing-a-long show, an ice skating rink, a winter wonderland fun fair, a train ride, and much more.
Date: January 8-30 (every weekend)
Tickets: from £2.99
Address: Marsh Farm, South Woodham Ferrers, CM3 5WP
7. Horror-On-Sea Festival at The Park Inn, Southend-on-Sea
Like so many events, The Horror-On-Sea Festival is back following a two-year hiatus. Packing in more than 100 films across two weekends, it is the UK’s largest independent festival devoted to horror. The question is, how brave are you?
Date: January 14-16; 21-23
Tickets: From £7
Address: Church Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2A